Sign in to follow this  
Kresh

[Test Concept] The Vanguard

16 members have voted

1. 2. Would you join a guild like this?

• Yes! I think at the very least it'll be fun to try out!
    • Nah fam. Not for me, sorry.

The Vanguard
(Pat'n'Pending)

goeE3re.jpg

"This is a call to every good soul on Azeroth. A call to those who want to do right by the world. Those who put others before themselves. This is a call to those who perform selfless acts without a second question. Those who protect the weak. This is a call to you."

What is it?:
The Vanguard is a non-profit organisation designed to group heroes of all shapes and sizes into one cute little guild. It is ran solely on donations from the generous denizens of Azeroth. The premise is that so long as you want to help people, you are classed as a hero and given a customised small business card. This means it doesn't matter if you're average joe, or an archmagi, all that matters are your intentions. The aim is simple: "Help the people of Azeroth, make it safe again." - Whether that means helping an old lady with getting home safely or slaying an entire legion of demons, as long as you're doing your part, that's what counts.
The organisation has no hierarchy, everyone is classed as an equal, however there are a few people who manage administrative things such as 'Guild HQ' up-keep etc. It gives opportunity and reason for a number of varied characters to band together and adventure together.

By no means are members above the law of the lands they adventure in, nor is the guild an excuse to be racist or be used in the name of some war; they're not mercenaries. Heroes are expected to be civil with each other, as they are battling the greater evils of this world. The idea is that heroes are out in the world doing what they can to make it a slightly better place. Make someone smile, buy some food and some new clothes for a homeless person, save a cat from a tree. You don't have to be perfect and your means don't have to be conventional*, so long as at the end of the day, you've done some good.

If enough donations are collected and a Guild HQ -is- built, the HQ itself will be property to the guild itself, though a few will be elected to maintain it's up-keep. The HQ will act as a bastion for the guild, providing food and shelter for anyone who needs it. Any are welcome to visit the HQ and request the aid of heroes. A 'quest board' will be set up for any and all heroes to browse. Harder missions will be marked accordingly, and encourage heroes to team up. Any rewards that may be given as a consequence of the selfless deeds committed are entirely the hero's.

*Warlocks I'm looking at you. Summoning a demon in the middle of town square to rescue a cat? Maybe a little overkill but sure. At least you did something good.

-

OOCly, I'd like to create an excuse for all manner of people banding together, regardless of class, race and title. 
I don't mean I want to see a Vrykul in Stormwind City, or a Draenei in Thunderbluff... But I want to widen the doors of opportunity a bit more for characters who aren't always with the Status Quo. Diversity, if anything.

-

... Wait Kresh... What about Alliance vs Horde?!
Truthfully, in an ideal world we could have some neutral ground where heroes from all around Azeroth gather to perform selfless acts of courage and bravery all in the name of 'being good'. I've seen and participated in many-an-evil-guild and 'faction' never seemed to play any relevance as all participants had an overall goal big enough to separate that boundary. 

Honestly this is the polar opposite of an 'Evil Guild', however I shouldn't think faction would play a large part given the 'overall goal' of this guild, and would attract only like minded individuals. If you're here, it's because you want to go out into the world and help people.
But practically, it has the opportunity to become problematic. I'm more inclined to lean towards Alliance, at least for the time being.

-

What are your suggestions & opinions about it all? c:

-

If you would like to join, please follow the format beneath!:

[color=#daa520][b]Character Name[/b][/color]:
[color=#daa520][b]Do you want to actively involve yourself in the management of this guild?[/b][/color]: (This who look after the Guild HQ, pin up quests on mission boards, etc.)

[color=#ffa500][i]Do you want to be in our events?[/i][/color]: (Is your character likely to participate in the larger events this guild will have to offer?)

(Thank you Rag for the template <3)

"The Hero Association" Ain't that from One Punch Man?

Entirely. Needed something for the title that got the point across, though. Check the polls!

But let's try to keep this on topic, please! <3

This would be interesting to see pulled off, but I do find the name choices to be a bit...lackluster. This reminds me of a similar concept I had in mind under the name of The Hall of Legends. The only reason I couldn't get it to work is because of the silly "but we're not the true heroes of azeroth!" mindset. However, I think the name could work for what you want, because legends doesn't have to mean big guys & gals with renown across the land. There are small legends as well. I even have an idea or two for the guild HQ, and more.

This would be interesting to see pulled off, but I do find the name choices to be a bit...lackluster. This reminds me of a similar concept I had in mind under the name of The Hall of Legends. The only reason I couldn't get it to work is because of the silly "but we're not the true heroes of azeroth!" mindset. However, I think the name could work for what you want, because legends doesn't have to mean big guys & gals with renown across the land. There are small legends as well. I even have an idea or two for the guild HQ, and more.

Truthfully I've never really seen something like this pulled off before, on Paragon. I'm interested to see how it'll play out if enough people support it, and I'm glad you like the idea!

But I wanted to make the point clear early on; The whole point of the guild is that anyone can be a hero, no matter of your opinion on the deed - If you've done something you consider mundane, you might not think much of it, however the person you helped is completely awestruck, to them, you're their hero! c:

Also I think it's nice to encourage diversity among the specific types of characters that could come together as a consequence of this. 

EDIT: Updated name suggestion poll!

the guild are adventurers of varying alignments who don't really fall under hero.

this is a broader strokes sort of guild for people doing good, rather than out for gold or glory.

edit: this is also active, looking to recruit, and why are you being so stupid as to go 'oh so its x guild'

the guild are adventurers of varying alignments who don't really fall under hero.

this is a broader strokes sort of guild for people doing good, rather than out for gold or glory.

edit: this is also active, looking to recruit, and why are you being so stupid as to go 'oh so its x guild'

the guild did nothing wrong.

I mean in theory they're both rather similar, but let's try to not to derail anything here! c:
I think the difference lies in the attitude of the 'type' of people who are likely to join.

For example those who'd likely join this are more the charitable types, seeking out ways to help people out of the good of their own heart or because they believe it's the right thing to do, whereas I'd argue The Guild attracts more Adventurous types who are maybe a little half-hearted about why they're there. Perhaps their reason is looking to make some quick gold or perhaps the thrill of adventure.

I can see where you're coming from, however I think they're strikingly different if you look closely. c;

I mean in theory they're both rather similar, but let's try to not to derail anything here! c:

I think the difference lies in the attitude of the 'type' of people who are likely to join.

For example those who'd likely join this are more the charitable types, seeking out ways to help people out of the good of their own heart or because they believe it's the right thing to do, whereas I'd argue The Guild attracts more Adventurous types who are maybe a little half-hearted about why they're there. Perhaps their reason is looking to make some quick gold or perhaps the thrill of adventure.

I can see where you're coming from, however I think they're strikingly different if you look closely. c;

Might need to get in on this, now..

Also AVENGERS is a better name...

Character Name: Meadrel Farsky
Do you want to actively involve yourself in the management of this guild?: I can, yeah. If needed.

Do you want to be in our events?: Obviously.

If I can be completely honest, I thought <The Guild> was a good idea.

Keyword being idea.

In execution, it was incredibly difficult for a Horde character to be a part of this "neutral" guild, as the headquarters was a stone's throw away from Stormwind. All I really remember from it, as well, was everyone gearing up for some huge event, then Donny gets kidnapped and we have to put everything on hold while we find him. No disrespect to Donny, he's a hoopy frood, but I feel the idea of an unofficial guild of do-gooders could've been done a bit better.

While I'm still unsure about this new <Vanguard>, it has the potential of doing what <The Guild> got wrong. However, it seems very unfocused as of right now, and it has the potential of doing much worse than <The Guild>, as well. At best, it could be an awesome network of interesting folks doing heroic deeds. At worst, it could be White Knighting: The Guild with dozens of people swarming an antagonist with the reasoning that they heard from other Vanguard members.

If I may make a suggestion to get this guild focused a bit more, how about a "good guy" and "bad guy" guild that are constantly at eachother's throats for the sake of large-scale PvP events?

I'm going to draw comparisons to DC Universe Online. In that game, there's Heroes, headed by the Justice League (Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman); and Villains headed by the League of Villains (Joker, Lex Luthor, Circe). Hero characters join the Justice League to do HEROIC DEEDS, while villains join the League of Villains to o EVIL DEEDS. As you can guess, they're constantly at odds, despite both trying to aim toward the same goal: repel the invasion of Braniac.

We could have the same thing here: <The Vanguard>, which is a group of heroes that serve the common good while also researching how to repel the Burning Legion. Meanwhile, there's the <The Collective> or some shit (I'm bad at names ;A;) who also want to repel the Burning Legion, but consider the Vanguard's way of doing things too soft. They'd steal, murder, and pillage if it meant getting more power to combat the Legion with. Both guilds have the same end-goal, protecting the world from the Legion, but with that same goal in mind, they'd cross paths quite a bit and try and fight the others off.

I dunno, that's just an idea. I just think this guild needs more of a focus to succeed, rather than just "good guys that do good guy things". Give them a goal, and an obstacle, and it could work.

so <The Guild>, then

This is basically it. In character, the guild's referred to as The Adventurer's Guild. Alliance? Horde? None of that matters.

so <The Guild>, then

This is basically it. In character, the guild's referred to as The Adventurer's Guild. Alliance? Horde? None of that matters.

So it would be fair to call the members of that guild 'adventurers', then. If you've a thrill for adventure, join them! 

However this isn't the goal of The Vanguard. Fundamentally, both guilds attract different types of characters. The limitations, or lack there of on location and faction only help to reign in a larger crowd of like minded people.

There's no denying both guilds aren't similar in some way or another, however as I mentioned earlier, I believe they are strikingly different due to the fact that they attract wildly different people. That's not to say there won't be some overlapping, but again - Altruistic, charitable people are more likely to join the Vanguard. Adventurers don't have to be those things.

Concept may be similar, however that was purely coincidental. 

Execution and goals are different.

Moreover, I ask; we've seen many evil guilds with strikingly similar concepts crop up around the place, it's seen as normal, so why would it be such a bad thing to see guilds on the other side of the spectrum, who possess similar ideas?

@Pumpkin

Total discretion; This isn't some petty excuse to white knight all over the place. It's about letting anyone, regardless of race, class, faction or title do a little good in the world. For those characters who perhaps aren't following the status quo, but would like to do some good - be it your race, such as a Naga anomaly, normally such a thing could be treated like a monster, regardless of the individuals true intentions. HOW you go about doing good, is entirely down to the character in question. It's not limited to the guild. Nor do you have to be some all-powerful Kirin-Tor Archmage to be a hero. The Vanguard is just a place to house all of these characters under one roof, and give a sense of belonging to said character, if they want that. There's no option to stay, in fact many could just become associates who enjoy having like-minded contacts.

There's no denying the fact I plan on having event chains for this guild, however the guild itself isn't based around 'gearing up' or things like that. In fact, the events we do have might not even have combat at all. I'd wager this is also an opportunity for DMs to work on some non-combat events. Who knows? 

At the end of the day, I'm trying to promote RP that focuses on acts of kindness, regardless of who or what you are, so long as the character in question is of that mentality. Is that such a bad thing? c:

I thank you all for the feedback!

Mreh, if the focus isn't going to shift into anything more concrete, then I'm afraid I'm no longer interested. Still, I wish you the best of luck.

you're like the fifth person to say this. did you go blind recently? please actually read and educate yourself.

you're like the fifth person to say this. did you go blind recently? please actually read and educate yourself.

No need to be a dick. People don't tend to look through every single comment on a thread when they first read it.

It's ONE page. and hardly time consuming to read. it also takes basic comprehension to understand the differences between the guild and the vanguard