Sage

Paragon - What's Coming Next

On 10/15/2020 at 10:38 PM, Yoker said:

Chronomancy isn't fun to deal with when you're not on the same page as the people using it. It'd be better off gone imo, but if it's going to stay, I'd keep it as trivial as possible.

Let me claim Kyra's honor

We shouldn't ban or artificially weaken a thing just because "Oh, I'm not having fun fighting it.". I think a good middle ground is just limiting the amount of time one can affect in a single casting of a spell, and the effects one can produce.

Regardless, I'm sure an article will come out about it.

On 10/3/2020 at 12:11 PM, Sage said:

Chronomancy
We're actively discussing Chronomancy at this time. It is a school of magic that is easily abuseable and we've got our share of worries. However, there are a few ideas floating about that the moderation team is working on. We're looking to have a fully realized answer coming before this year is over - on what we will and won't allow, how one handles Chronomancy, and more. Expect more information to come once we've got some more concrete words down for people to digest.

Chronomancy suggestions:

1. No free physical time travel without: A) moderator approval  B) a good narrative and C) an appropriate IC justification.

2. Divination through time is okay. Looking into the past is always successful if the spell can be cast, but the spells come at an ever-increasing cost. Looking into the future is exponentially difficult with an increasing failure rate based on how specific your divination target is and how far ahead you look.

3. Modifying flow of time relative to 1 target is okay. Haste, Slow, Time Stop, Temporal Stasis.

4. Modifying the flow of time gives you increasingly limited effects on the world proportional to how much freedom you get. Inversely, it limits how much the world can affect you for how much freedom you strip from yourself. Example: If you trap yourself in Temporal Stasis, you are invincible until the Stasis goes away but you also cannot do anything. If you are in Time Stop, you have freedom to do whatever you want, but your actions have no effect on the world around you until time resumes.

(If you're having trouble wrapping your head around these concepts, you can water it down to: You haste yourself so fast it's like time has stopped, but you are moving too fast to affect the world. Or you Slow yourself so much, you appear frozen to the rest of the world, but everything around you takes so long to affect you that it's like you are invincible until you are freed from your time prison)

5. Manipulating time is the most taxing form of spellcraft and employing any of the extremes "Time Stop or Temporal Stasis" would deplete most if not all of a mage's mana pool if they can even cast it. Most mages should not even be able to cast these spells.

6. Most uses of such time manipulation are limited to static effects from spells built directly into ley-lines or other extremely powerful mana sources, such as the fermentation rooms used by the Nightborne to create Arcwine.

On 10/6/2020 at 2:00 AM, Celarc said:

I think that misuse of chronomancy should be punished by in-universe means, for in-universe actions. If someone stops time for any period of time that might be noticeable on a large scale, then the Bronze Dragonflight and the Timewalkers would step in to deal with the issue. Players should expect punishment for their actions, which is a topic I see wasn't brought up. Though I hope the moderation team will discuss the topic of player repercussion more.

I don't think that's a good idea because there will always be someone who thinks of a way to get around the IC imitations or even use them to their advantage. I wouldn't call OOCly policing of time travel to be too heavy handed. I would call it the only reasonable solution for maintaining a very desirable form of order in an inherently linear-time interaction: roleplaying. You don't need to have a doctorate in general relativity to be able to understand that roleplay makes a lot more sense when time loops don't exist, so rather than trying to justify why it can't be done, you just say it can't be done because that works out better for everybody.

I don't think that's a good idea because there will always be someone who thinks of a way to get around the IC imitations or even use them to their advantage. I wouldn't call OOCly policing of time travel to be too heavy handed. I would call it the only reasonable solution for maintaining a very desirable form of order in an inherently linear-time interaction: roleplaying. You don't need to have a doctorate in general relativity to be able to understand that roleplay makes a lot more sense when time loops don't exist, so rather than trying to justify why it can't be done, you just say it can't be done because that works out better for everybody.

Good but I'd leave # 1 and 2 only in the hands.of the Bronze Dragonflight and its adherents.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Seiryoku said:

Good but I'd leave # 1 and 2 only in the hands.of the Bronze Dragonflight and its adherents.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That would apply under "appropriate IC Means" for #1, but there are also some artifacts that could do it. In any case, the possibility is there for story reasons, but closed off from unrestricted use.

For #2, there's really no reason to restrict it to the bronze flight. Farseers, for example, have been able to see phrophecies or foresee certain events or moments in the future with varying degrees of accuracy. As for non-divine magic users: Mages and Warlocks can use dimensions that intersect time at different points to look backward or forward through time. Since this is functionally not much different from reading a history or a memoir or doing a very good investigation, it's not all that overpowered. Hell, we know demons can exist in many different timelines at once, too. Some warlocks may specialize in gleaning information about the timeline from demons. The accuracy of the info is not guaranteed to be perfect or even remotely correct, but it should still be possible.

Mod

Syth, we're going to discuss your reply directly to what I posted - your suggestions that is.

They're pretty good ones.

Mod

Just a quick update for everyone;

• The Team Merge is still being finalized in the details. This also requires some back-end work that is above my knowledge and access for obvious reasons.
  • Chronomancy is still underway thread-wise, but it will take a moderation meeting and some extra work to finalize.