Kresh

~New~ Marshbury Outpost

yiIfXtF_zpsd606d763.png

Approved with Permission from Staff and Mirazoka,
I am here to Present a New and Improved Marshbury.

Marshbury's land and property has been bought up by Bloodhorn Industries.
They are continuing to oversee it's development where I have not been able to.

-This post will continue to be edited-

-IC Information-

Background Info:

"Marshbury is an off shoot town with a small self-sustaining government consisting predominantly of ex-residents of Menethil Harbor. Menethil Harbor was established approximately 615 by the King's Calendar and was a martial forward base instigating the presence of the Alliance in the Wetlands. It was the main sea link between Khaz Modan and the kingoms of the Alliance.

During the second war, Menethil Harbor sent some of its forces to the Northland in order to assist Stromgarde's standing army in defending the Northlands against the Orcs. Later The Scourge invaded Lordaeran, devestating much of the Wetlands and leaving much of its wilderness untamed and infertile. Following the second sundering, Menethil Harbor faced a flood caused by an earthquake, killing many in the process.

Following the flood, some souls left of the originally estimated 10,000 residents fled to the east. A refugee camp was founded on the route linking Khaz Modan and the Arathi Highlands. Many volunteers traveled here to lend aid to injured Menethil residents. Soon refugees that spread out sporadically flocked to what is now known as the town of Marshbury. A handful of volunteers and survivors from the human kingdoms helped to establish the refugee camps and take care of their people.

The ghettos of refugees became a hotspot for merchants encountering the outpost coincidentally. Some thrived, constructing permanent residencies at the location forming the town center. A handful of humans recruited third parties from the capitals, and people volunteered to help enable a future for those whom were in need in Marshbury. 632 by the King's Calendar Marshbury became a self-proclaimed town. Many travellers stopped by throughout their journey to stay over at Marshbury. It's name spread to as far as the Highlands. A select few venerated townsmen elected a council to create a self-sustaining government and introduce its own militia."

Recently:

"With time, Marshbury fell in to disrepair and their government crumbled. Without leadership the town became the very essence of anarchy. Slowly, many of its citizens left the town, leaving it to rot in the ground. Gilalath, Marshbury's Priest, had returned to what he thought was his home. He'd been away on important business and only just returned to find the entire town to be deserted. He contemplated leaving and never looking back, but instead took it upon himself to rebuild a bigger and better town. 

Gilalath travelled to Stormwind where he placed in a request to gain financial aid from Stormwind.
He currently is searching for people to help rebuild Marshbury."

-OOC information-  
[iMPORTANT]

Thank you to all of your feedback, which is highly appreciated. I do not want Marshbury to turn sour or be a target for any negative comments. Of course there is a large negativity to be associated with Marshbury - Which I understand and knew before asking to restart up Marshbury.

The feedback was very clear and insightful as to what most thought.
So a few things have been edited lower down.

Join us with:
[Marshbury will continue to be closed until it is rebuilt]

[Recently Edited]

A New Start: Marshbury will be a Guild HQ rather than a Custom Town - It's main focus will be Trading, thus over time there will be shops and traders.  It will be ICly working closely with Menethil Harbor and the trading via Ships etc.
Marshbury's Affiliation has not yet been decided just yet, though most probably Alliance. Those who are wanting to join Marshbury are certainly welcomed to.
A new set of rules for Marshbury are currently in the progress of being made.
In the foreseeable future, Marshbury will most likely be open, although that has not been decided as of yet.
This will still predominantly be Tavern / Town/ Trade RP.

Marshbury will still be a work in progress, but this is it's new structure.

[Other Information]
Handling of Disputes: All disputes will be handled through Staff / DM's. Common sense would tell us assassinating a Guard in the middle of broad daylight would be: [1] Power Gamed - You cannot One shot ANYTHING without a warning prior or without giving the victim warning. [2] In the middle of the day?! Come on. Everyone will see you and you'll be assaulted by more people than you can handle. Marshbury does -not- promote or tolerate violence within it's walls. [3] Stupid. Plain Stupid.

--

Should you wish to join Marshbury Outpost,
Message Gravelyn over the forums.

I'd like to join Marshbury with Tarah, both for IC and OOC reasons if I can. Marshbury had potential and it still does.

I'll probably send my main your way. Sounds like it could be fun.

Zahariel El' Caerys lowers his spyglass, a wide grin on his face. He looks over his shoulder, taking in the view of twenty thousand men at his back. They march forth.

No mention of dj's fel-flame meteor :(

Anyway, idk how to feel about this. There is no good recipe of managing and making a custom town "be" either that I can share. Just don't be ultra-paranoid OOC, don't suck up all the RP, and don't allow retards to have a say in IC directions you take, and it should live longer.

oh no..

nono no no no no.. no ...

oh h...

just literally don't be Qara and maybe you'll be fine.

I'd rejoin this, but Ms. Havenrune has been kidnapped indefinitely. Good luck! I'm sure it'll turn out fine as long as no one poisons your salmon and you don't try to argue against being part of the Alliance.

Custom towns will no longer be based on applications - we're not going to support them at all as they have more often than not brought extremely protective people who become fairly vindictive about keeping their precious town safe.

Uhm?

Custom towns will no longer be based on applications - we're not going to support them at all as they have more often than not brought extremely protective people who become fairly vindictive about keeping their precious town safe.

Uhm?
It's a guild HQ. Problem solved.

Alright, listen. Not sure who 'Kresh' was ICly during my time in Marshbury. I just came here to point out that what you're trying to portray as the 'new marshbury' is basically the same old. Marshbury outpost was a beautiful thing on paper; a town from scratch developed entirely in-character. We started off with what, 4 people, and a lot of people stopped by interested in the project which lead to a lot of IC debate in town gatherings as our community grew. I always appreciated that. I always supported how there were a lot of different opinions that led to disagreements. It was fun until I noticed ultimately the founders weren't on the same page with the newcomers that we offered a say in things; the whole concept of debate wasn't clear. People quickly got fed up on grudges and had to take IC rivalry and debate out-of-character. Soon people started mixing IC and OOC. The commotion forced an OOC backlash that just made things worse. This OOC rivalry and hate that grew just lead to people not playing the game by heart anymore. It just ended up in people godmodding to overthrow the project because they thought their way was the only way (which in its younger, innocent days inspired us and excited us for a new kind of roleplay).

Free RP: Unlike previously, there were many limitations on RP around Marshbury. A few were needed to make sure everything didn't turn to chaos, though the way they were enforced were not -In my opinion- handled with the greatest care. The New Marshbury will still continue to have a few IC rules, most of which are common sense, but the way they are handled will be different. No more OOC "F*** Off's". We are not here to control and limit your RP, in fact quite the opposite, we want it to thrive!

There were no OOC 'fuck offs' of any kind. It was a response to the fact that everyone ever, anywhere, always wants to be the tough guy. It was a kind request to just make people look the other way and let us do what we liked to do (how did it harm anyone?), but it did just the opposite. Marshbury in its very essence was a sensible concept, in the sense that nobody was ever meant to be 'that hero guy'. It wasn't a town of 'heroes'. It was a town made up of lumberjacks, aristocrats with no 'special powers' and footsoldiers. Nobody was a guy that could take on an epic necromancer or 90% of the server population for that matter. The grand issue was that all the 'outsiders' abused that leading to the numerous demon attacks and killings in broad daylight. We specifically tried to roleplay that humble town of weaklings without exceptions (it'd just lead to a monopoly). So you can all sit here and shout about how shitty it was, like Mother (fuck are you talking about anyway?), but end of the day most if not everything was just a massive miscommunication. Not that I cared fuck all about the opinion of the outsiders (it was a guild HQ), but it just saddens me to see a few of the more dedicated members that I appreciated wholeheartedly talk about this project, and me, in such a volatile manner, while ultimately they were the seed of its downfall.

Defining Marshbury: The town will be Lawfully Neutral. This means ALL who abide by the laws and are not fussed with opposing factions, may visit the town. Everyone is different, there will be multiple opinions on certain subjects. That's just life. But we expect this town to -Not- be an excuse to shed Blood.

All I can say is good luck with that. Last I remember is people criticizing us for saying a 'neutral town' is impossible so a Marshall of the Alliance forced us to pledge allegiance to them by force (with the promise of Horde vs. Alliance events and Marshbury playing an important role in that, which never came) and eventually we were shitstained AGAIN for disallowing 'orcs' and 'tauren' in. Which lead to an IC argument (that some people obviously couldn't keep IC) about whether Tauren should be allowed or not with them being 'neutral and all'. (With an Orc knowingly running into an Alliance town which lead to a few of the town members killing off this guy's character). This subjugation is a prime example of those people trying to abuse that weakness. Sure, it excited me. I strongly opposed them but the in-character majority vote prevailed due to Horde being cause of a lot of in-character trouble. Not to mention the economical advantage to the growth of our trade hub. Conclusion is that you can always ignore the OOC hate (which I tried to filter by just saying any serious concerns can be forwarded to me or Mirazoka by PM, but nobody ever did, so I concluded the shitstaining wasn't meant to be listened to. The only person of all the dozens of posters that reached out to discuss things in a civil manner was Cynnamun) but at the end of the day it'll be decisive of your future.

What I conclude is that while the concept itself is pretty cool (which we thought too) is that there's always these people that feel they have to have a say in how things go, whether they actually contribute to it or not. So regardless of whether it's going to have your input or not nobody's ever going to be happy. With the current front office staff though the "if you don't like it, just move along" (which is the most sane and passive response you can give) isn't going to work. Ultimately everyone has to be happy, and if you don't give your all to make that come true, they'll streamroll through your quarters and do everything to stop you from doing what you like to do. As a newcomer you simply don't have that priviledge of doing what YOU like around here. Instead, you have to listen to the high school seniors and if not they make your life hell.

Things will go from bad to worse since eventually you WILL have to comment. Ideally you're going to have to mold your concept to something that fits the opinion of the entire server population (which it never will) and in an utopia will just lead to it deviating entirely from what you had planned initially and it'll look like manbearpig; the result of a failed experiment. Conclusion; a custom town wont work. Not until people mature up and learn to look the other way. Else this community wont ever deviate from what it already has and just die of the same concepts over and over.

What if my character likes being the big fish in the small pond and killing people in a place like Marshbury to fulfil his own sick twisted fantasies of being relevant?

Since I'm the only of the four original founders who actually still plays here, I suppose I should voice my opinion. Rather than focusing on the arguments of the previous Marshbury, I'll instead talk primarily about this supposed new one.

First off, I have no idea who Kresh is, but you've the support of Mirazoka, so I guess that doesn't matter. Personally I'd rather that Marshbury just stayed dead, it was a neat idea, and provided some fun RP for a while, however unfortunate circumstances derailed it and I very much doubt this is going to be any different, given that its 90% the same playerbase.

Your thread doesn't really explain much, its pretty much exactly what we tried to be, but as I'm sure you'll find out, thats largely impossible. I do wish you good luck, though, and should you have any questions or the like, you're free to message me. I might stop by in game, just to see how it goes, however I have no plans to get seriously involved with this again.

Have fun while it lasts.

I wouldn't suggest doing this. I was not around for Marhsbury, but, as I have heard on plenty occasion, custom towns don't usually last long or generate any amount of decent RP. What I would suggest is applying for a guild HQ and get a decent sized keep. You will still be able to fit a fair amount of shops and merchant stalls, as well as being able to impose any rules you see fit as you would be the 'ruler' of said keep. Should eliminate any issues of people not agreeing with how things are run, as it would be entirely up to you if it would be open to others or not, not to mention your characters own personal 'home'.

I would be interested in helping out either way, so send me a PM when you can.

I heard pretty negative things about this too, which is a shame considering I'm a fan of custom towns as long as they're done properly. The whole idea of building up a town really intrigues me but it's usually, as you have mentioned, caught up in OOC drama and ruined.

If this does continue, best of luck and I hope you succeed. I might even drop by myself.

Thank you to all for your feedback, 
I've edited the post in response to it.

My advice, as someone who is frequently the subject of negativity?

It doesn't matter what other people think, or what reputation you have. As long as you're doing good and providing roleplay to the community, continue. Marshbury is a fine example. Do it; roleplay, do what old Marshbury did, except without a bunch of irrationally hostile children running it.

Alright, listen. Not sure who 'Kresh' was ICly during my time in Marshbury. I just came here to point out that what you're trying to portray as the 'new marshbury' is basically the same old. Marshbury outpost was a beautiful thing on paper; a town from scratch developed entirely in-character. We started off with what, 4 people, and a lot of people stopped by interested in the project which lead to a lot of IC debate in town gatherings as our community grew. I always appreciated that. I always supported how there were a lot of different opinions that led to disagreements. It was fun until I noticed ultimately the founders weren't on the same page with the newcomers that we offered a say in things; the whole concept of debate wasn't clear. People quickly got fed up on grudges and had to take IC rivalry and debate out-of-character. Soon people started mixing IC and OOC. The commotion forced an OOC backlash that just made things worse. This OOC rivalry and hate that grew just lead to people not playing the game by heart anymore. It just ended up in people godmodding to overthrow the project because they thought their way was the only way (which in its younger, innocent days inspired us and excited us for a new kind of roleplay).

Free RP: Unlike previously, there were many limitations on RP around Marshbury. A few were needed to make sure everything didn't turn to chaos, though the way they were enforced were not -In my opinion- handled with the greatest care. The New Marshbury will still continue to have a few IC rules, most of which are common sense, but the way they are handled will be different. No more OOC "F*** Off's". We are not here to control and limit your RP, in fact quite the opposite, we want it to thrive!

There were no OOC 'fuck offs' of any kind. It was a response to the fact that everyone ever, anywhere, always wants to be the tough guy. It was a kind request to just make people look the other way and let us do what we liked to do (how did it harm anyone?), but it did just the opposite. Marshbury in its very essence was a sensible concept, in the sense that nobody was ever meant to be 'that hero guy'. It wasn't a town of 'heroes'. It was a town made up of lumberjacks, aristocrats with no 'special powers' and footsoldiers. Nobody was a guy that could take on an epic necromancer or 90% of the server population for that matter. The grand issue was that all the 'outsiders' abused that leading to the numerous demon attacks and killings in broad daylight. We specifically tried to roleplay that humble town of weaklings without exceptions (it'd just lead to a monopoly). So you can all sit here and shout about how shitty it was, like Mother (fuck are you talking about anyway?), but end of the day most if not everything was just a massive miscommunication. Not that I cared fuck all about the opinion of the outsiders (it was a guild HQ), but it just saddens me to see a few of the more dedicated members that I appreciated wholeheartedly talk about this project, and me, in such a volatile manner, while ultimately they were the seed of its downfall.

Defining Marshbury: The town will be Lawfully Neutral. This means ALL who abide by the laws and are not fussed with opposing factions, may visit the town. Everyone is different, there will be multiple opinions on certain subjects. That's just life. But we expect this town to -Not- be an excuse to shed Blood.

All I can say is good luck with that. Last I remember is people criticizing us for saying a 'neutral town' is impossible so a Marshall of the Alliance forced us to pledge allegiance to them by force (with the promise of Horde vs. Alliance events and Marshbury playing an important role in that, which never came) and eventually we were shitstained AGAIN for disallowing 'orcs' and 'tauren' in. Which lead to an IC argument (that some people obviously couldn't keep IC) about whether Tauren should be allowed or not with them being 'neutral and all'. (With an Orc knowingly running into an Alliance town which lead to a few of the town members killing off this guy's character). This subjugation is a prime example of those people trying to abuse that weakness. Sure, it excited me. I strongly opposed them but the in-character majority vote prevailed due to Horde being cause of a lot of in-character trouble. Not to mention the economical advantage to the growth of our trade hub. Conclusion is that you can always ignore the OOC hate (which I tried to filter by just saying any serious concerns can be forwarded to me or Mirazoka by PM, but nobody ever did, so I concluded the shitstaining wasn't meant to be listened to. The only person of all the dozens of posters that reached out to discuss things in a civil manner was Cynnamun) but at the end of the day it'll be decisive of your future.

What I conclude is that while the concept itself is pretty cool (which we thought too) is that there's always these people that feel they have to have a say in how things go, whether they actually contribute to it or not. So regardless of whether it's going to have your input or not nobody's ever going to be happy. With the current front office staff though the "if you don't like it, just move along" (which is the most sane and passive response you can give) isn't going to work. Ultimately everyone has to be happy, and if you don't give your all to make that come true, they'll streamroll through your quarters and do everything to stop you from doing what you like to do. As a newcomer you simply don't have that priviledge of doing what YOU like around here. Instead, you have to listen to the high school seniors and if not they make your life hell.

Things will go from bad to worse since eventually you WILL have to comment. Ideally you're going to have to mold your concept to something that fits the opinion of the entire server population (which it never will) and in an utopia will just lead to it deviating entirely from what you had planned initially and it'll look like manbearpig; the result of a failed experiment. Conclusion; a custom town wont work. Not until people mature up and learn to look the other way. Else this community wont ever deviate from what it already has and just die of the same concepts over and over.

XcyuJTT.gif

XcyuJTT.gif

This thread is about 'reopening' Marshbury, not how salty Qara may or may not be. Please take it to PMs.